October 27, 2020
Urologist and kidney transplant surgeon Peter N. Bretan, Jr., M.D., was elected by the California Medical Association (CMA) House of Delegates to serve a second term as CMA President. He is the first Filipino-American physician to serve as CMA president.
Dr. Bretan practices in Marin, Sonoma and Santa Cruz Counties. He has served as a CMA Trustee and delegate, and is a three-time county medical society president. He is also immediate past president of the California Urological Association and serves as an adjunct clinical professor at Touro University, where he has taught classes in health care policy for almost 20 years.
Dr. Bretan is the founder and CEO of Life Plant International, a charitable organization that promotes disaster preparedness, organ donation and early disease screening worldwide. He has also provided care around the world on medical missions.
Dr. Bretan earned his Bachelor of Science degree in physiology from University of California, Berkeley and his medical degree from the University of California, San Francisco, where he completed residencies in general surgery and urology, as well as a fellowship in radiology. He also completed a fellowship at The Cleveland Clinic Foundation in transplantation and renovascular surgery.
The full 2020-2021 CMA Executive Committee includes:
- President: Peter Bretan, M.D., Marin/Sonoma/Santa Cruz
- President-Elect: Robert E. Wailes, M.D., Oceanside/Encinitas
- Chair of the Board: Shannon L. Udovic-Constant, M.D., San Francisco
- Vice-Chair of the Board: Sergio R. Flores, M.D., San Diego
- Speaker of the House: Tanya W. Spirtos, M.D., Redwood City
- Vice-Speaker of the House: Jack Chou, M.D., Los Angeles
- Immediate Past President: David Aizuss, M.D., Los Angeles