August 27, 2019
Area(s) of Interest: Access to Care Physician Workforce
Physicians for a Healthy California (PHC) is excited to announce the second cycle for the graduate medical education (GME) grant program, CalMedForce, which will award approximately $38 million to primary care and emergency medicine residency programs in California. The application will be released September 23, 2019, and is due by October 28, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. (PST). Priority will be given to programs in medically underserved areas and programs who serve medically underserved populations.
All applications submitted will receive a preliminary score. The preliminary scores will be sent to the primary contact and program director as provided in the application. Applications submitted by October 11, 2019, 11:59 p.m. (PST) will have the opportunity to edit their application, if needed. Early application submission is strongly encouraged. Applications submitted between October 12, 2019 and October 28, 2019 will be considered final, and, no supplemental information or changes can be made to the application.
Programs that plan to apply for funding are encouraged to start gathering the needed information now to ensure they are ready to complete the application by the deadline. While the application itself is not lengthy, it may take some time to collect and prepare the required information. Among the information needed is:
- Health professional shortage area (HPSA) score
- Structure of residency program, including the number of residency positions overall and the number of positions for which you are requesting funds
- ACGME/AOA accreditation letters for both the sponsoring institution and specialty
- Information about program graduates, including where they are practicing, in what specialty and in what type of practice from the past three years
- Details about your patient population payor mix
- Justification of your funding needs
Please share this information with colleagues who may benefit from this funding. (If you would like to be added to our distribution list for future updates, please email CalMedForce@phcdocs.org with “subscribe” in the subject line).
For more information about CalMedForce, visit phcdocs.org.