April 05, 2016
Area(s) of Interest: Commercial Payors Practice Management Payor Issues and Reimbursement
United Healthcare (UHC) announced in its March 2016 Network Bulletin that it has incorporated Healthgrades patient satisfaction ratings into its provider directory search tool on its myUHC.com website. Healthgrades is an independent company that allows patients to rate their satisfaction with their health care providers.
UHC reports it is incorporating the patient satisfaction ratings into its provider directory to increase patient awareness and education regarding patient satisfaction and quality of care standards.
Patients will rate providers – including physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants – on their satisfaction level for each of the following nine categories:
- Likelihood of recommending doctor to family and friends
- Level of trust in provider’s decisions
- How well provider explains medical condition(s)
- How well provider listens and answers questions
- Spends appropriate amount of time with patients
- Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
- Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
- Staff friendliness and courteousness
- Total wait time in waiting room and exam room
Ratings are measured on a scale of one to five stars, with five stars being the highest rating. Providers must have at least one patient review to have their results published; individual patient ratings will remain on the provider’s Healthgrades profile for two years.
UHC has created an FAQ document regarding the incorporation of the Healthgrades patient satisfaction ratings. For more information on the program, providers should contact the UHC Health Care Measurement Resource Center at (866) 270-5588.