Dustin Corcoran is Chief Executive Officer for the California Medical Association (CMA), a non-profit professional organization of nearly 50,000 physicians dedicated to protecting public health and promoting the science and art of medicine. As CEO, Mr. Corcoran has the responsibility for the overall supervision, direction and control of the business and staff of CMA.
Mr. Corcoran has advocated tirelessly for California physicians and the patients that they serve since 1998. He started at CMA as the membership coordinator for the association's political action committee. Within a year, Mr. Corcoran moved to CMA's Center for Government Relations where he worked under the guidance of the legendary Steve Thompson as a staff lobbyist. When Mr. Thompson passed away in 2004, Dustin succeeded him as Vice President of Government Relations where he managed CMA’s legislative program. In 2009, Mr. Corcoran was promoted to Senior Vice President, where he oversaw the day-to-day operations of CMA, as well as the Center for Government Relations and ultimately became CEO in February of 2010.
Dustin’s career has been marked by years of leadership, service and entrepreneurship
- Since 2009, Mr. Corcoran has been listed annually on Capitol Weekly’s top 100 power brokers in California – most recently, in 2021, listed at number 14.
- In 2012, Mr. Corcoran’s work as CMA’s chief executive officer was recognized when he was named to the Sacramento Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” list of top business and civic leaders.
- In 2014, Mr. Corcoran chaired the campaign to defeat Proposition 46, successfully protecting the Medical Injury Compensation Reform Act (MICRA) from an attack by the trial lawyers.
- In 2016, Mr. Corcoran spearheaded the launch of a startup company dedicated to providing physicians the population health tools and services necessary to embrace value-based contracts.
- Also in 2016, Mr. Corcoran was co-chair of the campaign to pass Proposition 56, raising California's tobacco tax by $2 per pack to invest in Medi-Cal, save lives, reduce smoking rates, prevent thousands of children from starting in the first place, and triple the funding for California's anti-smoking programs.
- In 2021, Mr. Corcoran was named one of Sacramento's 100 Notable Business Leaders by Sacramento Magazine.
- Mr. Corcoran serves as President of the Physicians Advocacy Institute and on the Board of Directors for the Stanford Medicine WellMD Center; Neuropathy Action Foundation; Physicians Foundation; Institute for Medical Quality; Physicians for a Healthy California; PSO Services, LLC; California Foundation on the Environment and the Economy; and Street Soccer USA: Sacramento.
Mr. Corcoran earned a Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Southern California Marshall School of Business. He lives in Sacramento with his wife, Glenda Corcoran, and their children.