TITLE: Meeting Planner
DIVISION: Finance and Administration
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Meetings and Conferences
OFFICE LOCATION: Sacramento
HYBRID ELIGIBLE: Considered after 90-day evaluation
EXEMPTION STATUS: Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $55-$70k
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Meeting and Conferences, you will be responsible for association meeting planning and event coordination working with designated staff. Coordinate all aspects of meeting and conference planning as applicable, including site selection, procurement and contract negotiations with meeting/event-related vendors, preplanning logistics, on-site management and post-meeting reconciliation.
Site selection process:
- RFP Process - working with the appropriate staff coordinator, develop the RFP for site selection and distribute through the appropriate channels
- Site Comparison - collect and analyze proposals; make recommendations for meeting site
Manage the procurement and contract process:
- Procurement of goods and services - working with appropriate staff coordinator, identify required vendors, products, and services for meeting
- Contracts - Under the direction of Sr. Director of Meeting & Conferences negotiate contracts and manage vendor relationships
- Space Planning – is responsible for working with contracted hotels/convention centers to allocate meeting space consistent with the programmatic requirements of the meeting
- Room Block Management and Reporting- responsible for working with the host hotel(s) to develop the reservation procedures and disseminating that information to CMA staff and medical societies
- Rooming List for Association Officers, Trustees and Staff – responsible for soliciting and transmitting the rooming list for VIPs, officers, trustees and designated staff
- General Services and Equipment – Under the direction of Sr. Director of Meeting & Conferences responsible for selection and coordination of general services necessary to finish the meeting spaces including on-stage furniture rental, registration booth, plants
- Signage – coordinate with Communications department in the production and placement of onsite signage, poster boards and easels
- Printing Offsite and Onsite – responsible for arranging both offsite and onsite material duplication
- Audio-Visual – responsible for coordinating audio-visual requirements for all events
- Entertainment – provide assistance with booking entertainment as needed
- Drayage – responsible for ordering and coordinating the pickup and delivery of freight items, supplies, equipment and meeting materials
- Convention Office – responsible for establishing an onsite convention office, as needed, which serves as a central hub for staff communications
- Supervision and Problem Solving – is expected to maintain a physical presence for the duration of assigned meetings and conferences; serve as the interface between CMA and the hotel/convention center staff
- Master Invoice Review – responsible for reviewing preliminary and final invoices from the hotel/convention center and coding the expenses according to the cost centers account number
- Close Contracts – verify all contractual obligations with vendors have been met and process final payments
- Responsible for managing in-office catering requests.
- Maintain list of approved caterers
- 3 - 5 years of meeting planning experience, i.e. hotel, convention centers, etc.
- College degree, certificate in meeting management or equivalent extensive knowledge in hotel and travel field preferred.
- Continuous study of industry publications and hands-on experience through seminars.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and knowledge of industry standards and practices, as well as all travel, hotel and convention centers capabilities in order to adhere to CMA's needs and budget.
- Use of CVENT Supplier Network and Social Tables is a plus
Frequent contact with CMA managers, staff, physician members, officers, and county medical executives on matters relating to meetings and events. Manage relationships with outside vendors, professional trade show organizations, hotels, resorts, and convention center staffs, airline and car rental personnel to negotiate contracts.
Works under the direction of Senior Director of Meetings and Conferences.
Word/Office suite and all basic/standard office equipment
Travel required, otherwise normal clerical requirements
(This job description reflects the general level and nature of the job. It is not intended to be all inclusive.)