TITLE: Legal Counsel
DIVISION: Center for Legal Affairs
REPORTS TO: General Counsel and Sr. Vice President
OFFICE LOCATION: Sacramento
EXEMPTION STATUS: Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: We are seeking a dynamic candidate for the position of Legal Counsel who can join our Center for Legal Affairs team. The CMA legal team leads, develops and implements CMA advocacy with a strong knowledge of multidisciplinary advocacy that includes law, policy, politics, coalition building and public relations while providing strategic and corporate counsel to CMA's executive management team, the CMA Board of Trustees and the CMA subsidiaries.
About CMA: The California Medical Association (CMA) is a not-for-profit physician organization, with over 46,000 members in all modes of medical practice and specialties. CMA is dedicated to serving our member physicians and their patients through a comprehensive program of legal, legislative, regulatory, and economic advocacy and by providing physicians and physician groups the tools necessary to succeed in today's healthcare environment.
- Ideal candidate would provide collaborative, forward thinking, creative, authentic, and effective leadership to CMA and its physician leadership and management team.
- Serve as legal counsel for the association and its subsidiaries.
- Provide written and oral advocacy on state and federal legislation and regulations
- Serve as the subject matter expert in specified health law issues, which could include: Stark, anti-kickback, fraud and abuse, privacy and security, HIPAA, facility licensure, peer review, medical staff self-governance, Medicare, Medi-Cal, and workers' compensation.
- Perform legal and policy research and analysis in a wide range of health law issues
- Research and respond to inquiries from county medical societies and member physicians
- Coordinate activities with other centers and subsidiary companies and non-profits within the organization, including executive management, government relations, policy, economic services, membership and communications.
- Other duties as required
CONTACTS: Legislators, legislative staff, other elected officials, regulatory agencies and appointed Board members, CMA management and supervisorial staff, officials of other organizations, CMA members.
- Juris Doctor Degree
- Active license to practice in California
- At least two (2) years of legal experience
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Litigation, regulatory or health law and policy experience preferred
- Experience or strong interest with diversity and inclusion policies preferred but not required
- Strong writing, communication, and collaboration skills
- Independent, self-starter willing to take the initiative while working effectively in a team
(This job description reflects the general level and nature of the job. It is not intended to be all inclusive.)