TITLE: Legal Counsel
DIVISION: Center for Legal Affairs
REPORTS TO: General Counsel and Senior Vice President
OFFICE LOCATION: Sacramento
EXEMPTION STATUS: Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: We are seeking a dynamic candidate for the position of Legal Counsel who can join our Center for Legal Affairs team and provide legal support to CMA's Government Relations and Political team. The CMA legal team leads, develops and implements CMA advocacy with a strong knowledge of multidisciplinary advocacy that includes litigation, policy, politics, coalition building and public relations while providing strategic and corporate counsel to CMA's executive management team, the CMA Board of Trustees and the CMA subsidiaries.
- Ideal candidate would provide collaborative, forward thinking, creative, authentic, and effective leadership to CMA and its physician leadership and management team.
- Serve as legal counsel for the association and its subsidiaries.
- Provide written and oral advocacy on state and federal legislation and regulations
- Serve as the subject matter expert in specified health law issues, which could include: employment, fraud and abuse, facility licensure, Medicare, Medi-Cal, scope of practice, and health information technology.
- Perform legal and policy research and analysis in a wide range of health law issues
- Research and respond to inquiries from county medical societies and member physicians
- Coordinate activities with other centers and subsidiary companies and non-profits within the organization, including executive management, government relations, policy, economic services, membership and communications.
- Other duties as required
CONTACTS: Frequent contact with other CMA staff, attorneys, member physicians, stakeholders and others.
SUPERVISION: Works independently and in close collaboration with other Association staff according to established deadlines under the direction of the General Counsel.
- Juris Doctor Degree
- At least one year of legal experience
- Litigation, regulatory or health law and policy experience preferred
- Experience or strong interest
- equity, diversity and inclusion policies preferred but not required
- Strong writing, communication, and collaboration skills
- Independent, self-starter willing to take the initiative while working effectively in a team
(This job description reflects the general level and nature of the job. It is not intended to be all inclusive.)