TITLE: Director of Strategic Communications
DIVISION: Strategic Communications
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Strategic Communications
OFFICE LOCATION: Sacramento
EXEMPTION STATUS: Exempt
CMA’s Center for Strategic Communications is responsible for developing effective messaging and communication strategies. The Director of Strategic Communications will create or oversee the creation of promotional and informative materials sent to the public and through internal channels. This role will work with all forms of media, including press releases and digital campaigns, print materials, social media, audio and video and more. The ideal candidate will be deadline-oriented and experienced in sharing nuanced organizational narratives across multiple audiences and platforms.
- Assist the VP of Communications with content and strategy to ensure consistency across all CMA channels and platforms.
- Collaborate with various CMA departments and CMA subsidiary organizations to translate strategy into integrated communications plans, deployment and provide organizational alignment
- Assist in the development of social media and digital media campaigns
- Lead and manage crisis communications strategy and execution
- Craft email newsletters, talking points, quotes, press releases and more
- Manage web content updates for CMA and its subsidiaries
- Research and draft op-eds, articles and other content on a variety of topics for distribution across communications channels run by CMA and its subsidiaries
- Organize, attend and participate in stakeholder meetings
- Oversee and optimize department-wide systems to maintain project timelines and team collaboration
Interacts regularly with CMA staff, CMA members, county medical societies, health care stakeholders and subsidiary organizations (e.g. Physicians for a Healthy California).
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a design or communications-related role
Competency in Microsoft applications including PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook
Familiarity with website content management systems and basic html/css
Driven with a strong work ethic and ability to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and deadlines
Ability to synthesize ideas and direction from multiple project stakeholders
Exceptional teammate, collaborator and communicator
Works under guidance of the Vice President
Position requires operation of normal office equipment, computer, printers, photocopier, fax machines, multi-line phone, mobile communications tools, team and project management applications
Work extended hours and, on the weekends, as events and deadlines dictate. Some travel.
(This job description reflects the general level and nature of the job. It is not intended to be all inclusive.)