TITLE: Meeting Planner
OFFICE LOCATION: Sacramento
CENTER: Finance & Administration
EXEMPTION STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Meetings & Conferences
Under the direction of Director of Meeting & Conferences you will be responsible for association meeting planning and event coordination working with designated staff. Coordinate all aspects of meeting and conference planning as applicable, including site selection, procurement and contract negotiations with meeting/event related vendors, preplanning logistics, on site management and post meeting reconciliation.
Site selection process:
- RFP Process - working with the appropriate staff coordinator, develop the RFP for site
selection and distribute through the appropriate channels
- Site Comparison - collect and analyze proposals; make recommendations for meeting
Manage procurement and contract process:
- Procurement of goods and services - working with appropriate staff coordinator, identify required vendors, products and services for meeting
- Contracts - Under the direction of Director of Meeting & Conferences negotiate contracts and manage vendor relationships
- Space Planning – is responsible for working with contracted hotels/convention centers to allocate meeting space consistent with the programmatic requirements of the meeting
- Room Block Promotion & Reporting- responsible for working with the host hotel (s) to develop the reservation procedures and disseminating that information to CMA staff and medical societies
- Rooming List for Association Officers, Trustees & Staff – responsible for soliciting and
transmitting the rooming list for VIP’s, officers, trustees and designated staff
- Decorator Services & Equipment – Under the direction of Director of Meeting & (This job description reflects the general level and nature of the job. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.) Conferences responsible for selection and coordination of decorator services necessary to finish the meeting spaces including on-stage furniture rental, registration booth, plants
- Signage – responsible for the production and placement of onsite signage, poster boards and easels
- Printing Offsite & Onsite – responsible for arranging both offsite and onsite material duplication
- Audio-Visual – responsible for coordinating audio-visual requirements for all events
- Entertainment – provide assistance with booking entertainment as needed
- Flowers & Gifts – responsible for ordering and coordinating delivery of flowers/gifts to be given as part of leadership recognition awards
- Drayage – responsible for ordering and coordinating the pickup and delivery of freight items, supplies, equipment and meeting materials
- Convention Office – responsible for establishing an onsite convention office, as needed, which serves as a central hub for staff communications
On Site Management:
- Supervision & Problem Solving – is expected to maintain a physical presence for the duration of assigned meetings and conferences; serve as the interface between CMA and the hotel/convention center staff
Post Meeting Reconciliation:
- Master Invoice Review – responsible for reviewing preliminary and final invoices from the hotel/convention center and coding the expenses according to the cost centers account number
- Close Contracts – Verify all contractual obligations with vendors have been met and process final payments
CONTACTS: Frequent contact with CMA managers, staff, physician members, officers, and county medical executives on matters relating to meetings and events. Manage relationships with outside vendors, professional trade show organizations, hotels, resorts and convention center staffs, airline and car rental personnel to negotiate contracts.
- 3 - 5 years meeting planning experience, i.e. hotel, convention centers, etc.
- College degree, certificate in meeting management or equivalent extensive knowledge
in hotel & travel field preferred.
- Continuous study of industry publications and hands-on experience through seminars.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills and knowledge of industry standards & practices, as well as all travel, hotel and convention centers capabilities in order to adhere to CMA's needs and budget
SUPERVISION: Works under the direction of Director of Meetings & Conferences.
EQUIPMENT OPERATION: Word office suite and all basic/standard office equipment
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Travel required, otherwise normal clerical requirements