Supporting Caregivers' Empowerment and Well-Being
Because self care is health care.
Healing your patients requires passion and resiliency while juggling stressful work conditions and time-consuming administrative burdens. Burnout was on the rise before COVID-19, and the global pandemic has only put increasing strain on California’s health care system.
The California Medical Association (CMA) has long been dedicated to addressing burnout at the organizational and systemic level while providing innovative resources to increase wellness and empowerment.
To that end, CMA’s wellness initiative (CMA Wellness) launched Care 4 Caregivers Now (C4CN) in March 2020 to help health care workers manage the unprecedented emotional burnout endured by responding to the COVID-19 crisis. With the coronavirus impacting society for the foreseeable future, C4CN expanded its mission in September 2020 to help more health care workers struggling with any stress-related challenge or who simply want to take action to feel more empowered.
C4CN provides free and confidential peer coaching from trained medical practitioners who understand the rigors and emotional stresses of the profession – and who know the value of a safe, confidential and non-judgmental space. Many peer coaches utilize the program and receive ongoing support because of the value they derive from it.
While not a substitute for therapy or medical care, coaching provides several benefits, including relief from emotional exhaustion and reduced levels of self-reported burnout.
The program is now available to physicians (M.D. and D.O.), physician assistants, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, certified respiratory therapists, registered respiratory therapists, residents/fellows, medical students, public health officers and medical reserve corps volunteers. The service is 100% complimentary and confidential – there is no mandated reporting requirement.
Sign Up To Receive Coaching
Health care workers should consider peer coaching if they:
- struggle to find balance in their work and personal life
- are increasingly frustrated, angry and/or anxious
- worry about financial insecurity, social injustice, systemic racism and/or inequitable opportunity
- are feeling burned out or unable to sleep
- just want to talk to someone who understands
C4CN participants can expect to:
- partner with a trained peer coach for free and confidential virtual sessions (via Zoom)
- sessions are held weekly for 30 minutes
- receive emotional support to create calmness, focus and control
- find clarity and peace to better plan for the future
- connect to resources to aid in personal growth and professional development
Receive support today, and please share the program with your staff and colleagues.
Volunteer to Become a Peer Coach
C4CN provides physicians and nurses, including those who are recently retired, the opportunity to lend their unique expertise as a peer coach. Coaching services are conducted remotely and not considered practicing medicine.
All interested volunteers should have:
- four hours available for training, which includes on-demand videos and a 90-minute live/small group training session
- at least 4 hours per week for remote coaching and mastermind sessions to share best practices and receive ongoing support
- access to computer audio/video and sufficient broadband (CMA Wellness will supply a Zoom account)
- passion for supporting fellow health care providers
- compassion, empathy and patience
- strong listening skills
Sgn-up to volunteer today.
In Case You Missed It
(800) 241-2466; CMAwellness@cmadocs.org