TITLE: Director of Communications and Public Affairs
OFFICE LOCATION: Sacramento
CENTER: Center for Strategic Communication
EXEMPTION STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Communications
SUMMARY: Develop and execute public relations and public affairs strategies across all media platforms in support of physician-focused legislative, legal, regulatory and political health care advocacy. Manage the entire life-cycle of media coverage from crafting and pitching to shaping and monitoring a variety of narratives concurrently.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proactively develop and execute earned media and public affairs strategies in coordination with the Vice President of Communications and CMA’s objectives.
- Generate interest, secure, prepare and staff media interviews.
- Respond to media inquiries in a timely manner.
- Translate complex health care policy into pithy and impactful messaging.
- Draft press releases, statements, op-eds and talking points under tight deadlines.
- Build and maintain relationships with media, including updating CMA’s media lists.
- Develop and manage CMA’s physician surrogate database, including outreach and media training.
- Help monitor and analyze the daily news in a timely manner.
- Prepare ad hoc reports on departmental activities, as required.
- Comply with association rules and policies as outlined in the Personnel Policy Manuel.
CONTACTS: Interacts regularly with reporters, columnists, producers, editorial boards, news directors and other media. Interacts regularly with CMA staff, physician members, county medical societies, health care stakeholders and affiliates (e.g. Physicians for a Healthy California).
KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Minimum of seven years working as a communications professional.
- Assertive and tactful self-starter with the ability to effectively and comfortably communicate with a variety of audiences and personality types.
- Driven with a strong work ethic and ability to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and deadlines.
- Strong research, writing, editing and media pitching skills.
- On-the-record experience required.
- Experience with health care policy and/or political strategy strongly desired.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work extended hours or on the weekends as deadlines/media coverage dictates. Minimal travel required.
(This job description reflects the general level and nature of the job. It’s not intended to be all-inclusive.)